Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Rule Number 1

My boy.  Such concentration - we had a lot of fun.  
I coached both my sons in little league and I loved it.  I did it for about 5 years.  I started out pretty green.  I had to learn the sport and how to coach it as I went.  I got to be OK at it.  I even developed a system that the kids seemed to respond to really well.  But one day, one of the kids found a blaring flaw in my method and politely asked me "Coach, How many rule number ones do you have?"  Hmm.  He got me on that one.  Most of my rule number ones had to do with safety issues like "Rule no. 1 - Make sure no one is around you before you swing a bat."  but others had to do with effort "Rule no. 1 - No walking, always run, always hustle."  I guess I sort of abused the whole rule no. 1 thing and caused it to lose some of it's effectiveness.  I probably should have thrown numbers 2-10 in the mix somewhere.

   I didn't want to make the same mistake again in my service to God.  So I thought long and hard and I prayed about what should be Rule No. 1 in this ministry.  I feel like God said to me...
 
 "Rule No. 1 - Do everything you do in my name, in love, or it means nothing."

  Ouch!  I can remember times when I have engaged in the games.  You know, the "I have the power to turn you down" game.  Or the "What did you say, I can't understand you.  Do what?  Push what button?  And you know what that does, do you?  Oh, not that one, which one then?  More of what?  What's it called?  Which is it?  OK, you got it boss, whatever you say."

  It's hard to be this honest about this but I have played these power struggle games before.  These may be the extreme cases and even somewhat exaggerated but it's the truth nonetheless.  These things were thought  more than they were spoken but who did it serve?  The worship leader, my pastor, God?  No, it was for my own amusement and out of a vindictive spirit that I behaved so poorly.  It shows what a poor attitude I had and I thank God for the Holy Spirit who gives conviction and teaches correction.  An ongoing process BTW.

    And who has not witnessed the phantom volume increase or where you turn someone up until they give you the thumbs up and then slowly eek them down during the rest of the set?  How many teams turn someone's mic down in the house altogether because they can't even sing?  All because the worship leader doesn't have the heart to steer them in a direction for which they are best suited.  ("That's a whole 'nother 'scussion fer yonder."  Do not know why I turned into Uncle Jessie all of the sudden, sorry about that)

  You do get tired of people, who are ignorant of how much effort you pour into your craft, being rude and impatient.  People who sometimes talk to you like you're an idiot for not having everything dialed in instantaneously.  Those are usually the people who come in late and are themselves unprepared.  It does get old.

  Does it justify uncooperative behavior?  Negative.

  This is a double edged sword, though.  I have been on stage and have seen things go wrong from that perspective too.  You can't hear yourself, the one person who should not be heard always seems to be the loudest.  The stage volume is off the hook.  "Are my ears -?  My ears are bleeding!"  Or perhaps the SVN (Stage Volume Nazis) have taken the very life out of the music by insisting on electronic drums, amps in other rooms, use of in ear monitors only, while forbidding anything remotely organic to be heard anywhere near the stage - at any time - ever. (BTW - I am not against the use of electronic drums, in ears, amps in other rooms - on the contrary, I like all of those ideas if executed properly.)

  Maybe the sound guy is late.  He's not completely set up but doesn't feel like it tonight.  Maybe he doesn't know any better but the person who is supposed to be "training" him needs a break and didn't show up.  People reading this who have paid staff may be telling themselves this never happens in their churches.  No?  I have never seen money change someone's heart for the better.  The performance may be better, but the heart?  Money is a decent motivator but it's not the ultimate reason we do what we do.  

  The people on the stage as well as the people in the tech booth should do everything in love.  Why did Jesus wash the disciples' feet?  To show how important serving one another is to Him.  Why are we up here on this stage?  To be seen, to be heard?  To display our wondrous talent?  To steal some of God's glory?  Whoa, harsh words perhaps but the goal here is for all of us in this ministry to constantly examine ourselves.  What are our true motives?  Who are we glorifying?  What's going on in our hearts to make us act how we act?  Are we being honest with ourselves, with God?  Can we fool God?  

  Even if everyone around me is rude, doing things the wrong way with the wrong motives, I need to examine my own methods and intentions.  Who am I doing this for?  If Jesus was (and He is) on that stage, would I require Him to beg for my attention?  Would He have to be extra nice to me to get more volume?  Would it be too much to ask for me to make sure He has what He needs?  Before He has to ask?  If He is truly at the center of what we are trying to accomplish together, we will act accordingly.

This was me, preaching to the choir from atop my soapbox...again.

No comments:

Post a Comment