Monday, November 7, 2011

Unequally Bloked?

 Should you have a non-saved person on the worship team?

 Should you have a non-saved person on the tech team?




  This subject has been covered a lot in  resource sites pertaining to the worship ministry but it seems everyone has a differing opinion.  And not that you asked, but I am going to throw in my two cents.



  Here's a common situation - The worship leader has a tough time getting the right musicians.  Worship musicians are required to be reliable, skilled, humble, flexible, diverse, prepared and in some cases need to look a certain way to be ideal candidates.  Oh and BTW it's usually on a volunteer basis.  Throwing in a another requirement like having a strong relationship with Jesus is a tall, tall order for these poor guys.  And face it, we musicians can sometimes be high maintenance.  The worship leaders often have full time jobs and work at the church on a volunteer or part-time basis themselves.  Not to mention that the worship ministry has been elevated to such a degree of importance in the modern church that in every church these days it seems there is a certain level of pressure for these guys to "perform".

  So imagine you are the worship leader and in comes this talented, young, hip looking person who just loves to play.  They have the right equipment, all the right stuff.  They are willing to play all the time.  They come prepared to practice and everything just seems to go smooth when they are around.  Hallelujah!  God finally answered your prayer and sent you someone who can play the parts how they really are supposed to be played, lead a song once in a while, harmonize or whatever it is you have been longing for, musically.  Maybe it's a drummer that doesn't beat the crud out of the skins and actually understands dynamics and can maintain consistent tempo.  You know you don't want it to end.  You don't really know this person or where they are at in their walk but because it's going so well you think "Let's just see how it goes."

  How it goes - Months go by and your pastor seems happy.  Worship has been consistent, it sounds pretty good but you never see this person at church when they are not on the schedule.  They don't attend small groups or bible studies.  They never volunteer to pray or have any input when having theological discussions.  Something inside you tells you that this person might not be saved.  Should I ask?  What if they get completely offended and leave?  Who am I going to get to replace them?  Do I require everyone give their testimony?  We will know people by their fruit, right?

True story -
  I was in the seats during worship with the weekend off from any service duties.  I was spending much needed time with God.  The worship team starts playing and someone other than the worship leader is leading the song "Let My Words Be Few" by Matt Redman.  You know the song "I stand, I stand in awe of You...Jesus I am so in love with You." 


Well instead, I hear the words "Jesus I've got so much love for You."  

The vinyl record in my head came to a scratching halt.  My eyes opened up and I looked around to make sure I just heard what I heard.  "I've got so much love for you?  Yep, he just said it again.  Is there a version of this song I haven't heard.  Maybe Phillip, Greg and Dan recorded a more palatable, commercially acceptable version of this song too.  I had to assume there was some logical reason.      

  It really bothered me so I asked my friend who was playing that week what that was all about.  He said the person leading the song wasn't comfortable singing I am so in love with you to another man.  Jesus - another man?  I wasn't sure what to think.  So the worship leader just let them change the lyrics?  I'm surprised they didn't just Say, "Yo Jesus, I got love for you home booooy."  It was just one more confirmation for me that I was not where I belonged ministry-wise.  Church-wise.    


I've heard this one too.  "My friend came to Christ after playing on our worship team for a year."  That's awesome.  God once again did his thing in spite of us doing our thing.  Offering a spot on the worship team is not an outreach, it's a band aid.  Get it?  Band aid?  Uh, anyway...    


  My thing is this, how can someone who has no relationship with Jesus be more than just an admirer from a distance?  Can you truly lead someone to a place you have never been?  Would you hire a guide who is unfamiliar with the terrain or a Sherpa who has never been up the mountain?  Worship music and the corporate worship experience is not simply about an admiration for God.  It is adoration, and love.  A two way expression of that love between us and almighty God.  Does Corinthians 6:14 apply here?  I think so.

  But why does a sound guy need to be saved?  No one really sees or hears him especially if he is good a what he does.  His job is really under the radar so what does it matter?   In a previous post I asserted that the guy/gal on the media presentation computer was using that as his instrument of praise.  And the guy/gal on the sound board was using that as her instrument of praise.  I really believe that.  Putting aside the subject of how important the tech person is to the worship experience for now, I would simply ask how much more powerful and pure of a worship experience can we have if everyone is on board participating with one goal, to glorify God?  Worship leaders sometimes struggle with the lack of participation from the congregation.   Cultivate participation with the approach that it's not just the people on stage that enable the atmosphere conducive to a dynamic and powerful worship experience.  You may find fresh enthusiasm and new creativity coming from places you were not even aware of.  When treated as an integral part of the worship team, the tech person also becomes more aware of the responsibility that comes with it.  Maybe going through the motions is no longer good enough, for anyone.      

 Feel free to comment.  I would love to hear opinions on the subject or perhaps about a unique situation at your church.                 
           

No comments:

Post a Comment