Monday, October 31, 2011

Epiph

  A long time ago my pastor said in a sermon that he had something just short of an epiphany - it was more of an epiph.  I loved it and I am shamelessly stealing it.  Thanks PB.  This is the origin of my epiph.



  Tony is a very mello guy. Sometimes I wanted to hold a mirror in front of his face to see if it would even fog up. He did not get excited easily. A quality I admire in people. He and I were in the sound booth during a particularly rough rehearsal for the worship team. The team had an interim worship leader and things were getting progressively worse and one background singer in particular was getting very frustrated. Frustrated with the leader, with herself and - you guessed it - with us. In a voice that until then I think only her husband and kids knew she was capable of making, she screeched "I NEED MORE ME IN MY MONITOR . . . PLEASE!"


  An awkward silence fell on the sound booth, I looked at Tony with an expression that I have to believe sold me out but before I could say anything stupid Tony calmly looked at me and said "What she needs is more Jesus up in that monitor." I just about fell out right there. Perfect perspective.  We spent the rest of the night speculating which knob we would re-label the Jesus knob and designing shirts and hats with "More Jesus in my monitor please!" for an awareness raiser slash fund raiser for the tech ministry. 


  That was about 8 years ago and I know that I know that God wanted me to use that title in some way.  Along the way I have seen some incredibly effective ministry and unfortunately have witnessed some awful examples of what not to dos.  He taught me so much on my journey.  This is me hoping that I am being obedient in sharing my experience to hopefully help other people in ministry avoid the pitfalls that would steal the joy of serving God effectively.  






No comments:

Post a Comment